Saturday, February 19, 2011

THE MARSHES- "Fledgling"


It's been forever since I posted, and that's stupid. Before I get into this post about one of the best 90's pop-punk records (a phrase muttered quite often here), I gotta tell you all about some things: I've recently stumbled on to some totally amazing Long Island based music blogs, while browsing my good friend Mikes' (Dude Japan/Rok Lok Records) own blog, Here On This Island. There was a few things I've wanted to post on here that these other 2 amazing blogs have saved me the trouble of...The Devil Himself, Wasted Time & the Greensleep 7", just to name a few. Check out Uncle Ron's Dusty Discs & To Live And Die On Long Island, as well as Here On This Island, and download everything you possibly can. You won't regret it.

While talking with friends via Facebook about the Uncle Ron's blog, my friend Roy reminiscened of seeing Greensleep at a local basement show with The Marshes @ Bunky's (from Wasted Time) house. He reminded me of how I had recently scored a vinyl LP copy of The Marshes most popular full-length, "Fledgling" on ebay for under 15 bucks. Roy's memories inspired me to post another one of my all-time favorite 90's pop-punk albums, that being, "Fledgling". The Marshes played a fast, melodic, unique style of pop-punk, the remains untouchable to this day. Singer & Bassist Emil Busie's voice is distinct, urgent and truly brilliant, as well as the music played behind it. Hellbender, Jawbreaker, early Green Day, and other 90's greats come to mind when listening to "Fledgling". The Marshes also included Stephen Wardlaw on Guitar/vocals, and Colin Sears on drums (formerly of Dag Nasty). This album is a true gem of punk rock history and remains a classic I hold dear to my heart. Even to the point where I've spoken with the band a year back, when they were gearing up to do a reunion show, about reissuing the classic LP..

Unforuntately, I ran face-first into the same problems I faced trying to reissue Fifteen's albums on Grass Records... that being that Grass, who back then released some pretty amazing & important 90's punk albums, became what is now Wind-Up Entertainment. Whose claim to fame is a certain little band called, CREED. Ugh. This means the label most likely has their own division of big cheese lawyers that probably wouldn't take too kindly to me reissuing a couple punk records they probably don't even know they own. Since then, The Marshes have released a new 7" on long-time veteran punk label, Dr. Strange, and also have played a reunion show in Massachusetts. The 7" is actually, REALLY fucking good, so I highly urge you to pick it up at Dr. Strange's site. And now I bring to you, "Fledgling". Note the incredible art-work, something that's not too foreign of pop-punk records from the 90's (ie: Plow United).

Download

No comments:

Post a Comment